Roy J. Beckemeyer is a retired aeronautical engineer / Boeing Company executive. In his post-professional life, he has been a scientific journal editor, a researcher who has studied extant dragonflies and Paleozoic fossil insects. He has described and named from fossils more than twenty new species of Paleozoic insects. He is also a nature photographer, writer, award-winning poet, and poetry and literary reviewer and editor and has done book layout and design. His poems have appeared in half a dozen anthologies and many print and online journals. His debut poetry collection, Music I Once Could Dance To (2014, Coal City Press) was a 2015 Kansas Notable Book. He recently co-edited Kansas Time+Place: An Anthology of Heartland Poetry (2017, Little Balkans Press) with Kansas Poet Laureate Emerita Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg. Amanuensis Angel (Spartan Press, 2018) is a chapbook of ekphrastic poetry inspired by abstract and impressionist artists’ depictions of angels. His latest full-length poetry collection, Stage Whispers (2018, Meadowlark Books), is now available.
Beckemeyer began writing poems to his high school sweetheart, Pat, now his wife of over 55 years. They have lived in Kansas for more than 50 of those years, and have traveled widely, from Antarctica to Kamchatka, Belize to Vanuatu. He blogs at https://phanaerozoic.blog/.
- Link to Roy J. Beckemeyer’s entry at the Map of Kansas Literature webpage.
- Link to Miranda Ericsson’s Interview with Roy Beckemeyer at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library’s webpage.
- Link to Emporia Gazette 6/21/2017 article, “Plan for Poetry Sunday Afternoon,” about his reading at the William Allen White House Poetry on the Porch Series.
- Link to Marci Epstein’s “Talk with ME” interview with Roy Beckemeyer on Lawrence Hits, 10/07/2016.
- Link to October 2014 article, “Never Too Late to Start,” in Garten’s Music Newsletter.
- Link to List of Roy J. Beckemeyer’s Scientific and Technical Publications, including several which address aspects of the history of science.
- Roy J. Beckemeyer’s Author’s Page on Amazon.